DR. WHAW? – February 2, 2010
This post was written by new and awesome DR. WHAW? Contributor Melissa Cafiero!
Can you believe it’s already February? Where did January go?! I can tell you where mine went, and it was pretty hectic, so here’s to a fabulous February!
Before we get started, I’ll tell you a little about me and what my Didn’t Read While Hard At Work posts will cover. I work with GolinHarris in Dallas, where for nearly four years, I’ve been learning all about public relations while working with technology clients. Given my background, my DR. WHAW posts will focus on PR and social media, but because I am still learning the ropes in life and my professional life, I’ll also try to throw in a dash of professional/personal development material.
I’m so excited to join the DR. WHAW family and hope you enjoy my first installment!
DR. WHAW? – February 2, 2010
- Godfather Colin Gunn used Facebook to run empire from jail by Daniel Foggo and Carl Fellstrom – Colin Gunn, one of the most dangerous gangsters in the UK, was able to setup and maintain a Facebook account while behind bars in a maximum security prison. He even taunted enemies in his status updates. According to an official, social networking sites are prohibited and Gunn’s profile has since been shutdown. Although the article doesn’t dive into a discussion on free speech and/or public relations issues, it’s still food for thought.
- How Is PR Changing? by Jeremy Porter – Everything changes, we know that. Porter makes a good point: PR itself isn’t really changing; however, our audience now has a voice. We also need to think about technology and its impact, new skills we need to possess to stay marketable in the workforce and different ways to effectively measure results.
- Resource: 2010 Edelman Trust Barometer – There’s a ton of content here, and clearly I didn’t have time to thoroughly consume every piece of it. Trust in businesses in the US increased to 54 percent, though “…the rise is tenuous, however, with nearly 70 percent saying business and financial companies will revert to old habits when the financial crisis is over.” According to the news release, “For the first time, this year’s survey shows that trust and transparency are as important to corporate reputation as the quality of products and services.” Wow. I do have to give some kudos to my company, GolinHarris, which started a Get Real campaign late last year which emphasizes authenticity. Don’t forget to check out the Edelman videos, too!
- Revealed: Which social networks pose the biggest risk? by Graham Cluley – Sophos recently published its Security Threat Report 2010 and it shows that 60% of people think Facebook poses the biggest security threat. Facebook has been taking a hit recently, particularly with its changes to privacy settings. Not too much new info here, but still worth noting.
- The Taboo (But Critical) Community Skill by Amber Naslund – While social media is about community and building relationships, we need to keep in mind that it’s also about sales. I’ve been asked before about providing ROI for the activities we suggest to our clients. They want to know that they’ll be getting something ($$) out of the time they’re investing. Be sure to read the comments as well for additional nuggets of info!
- Is Real-Time Search Good for Businesses? by Michael Brito – This article discusses the impact real-time search results will have on your business – timeliness. You/your clients have to be ready to respond! Also see the post from ZDNet’s Jennifer Leggio: Google real-time search + Twitter = a wake-up call for brands.
- Fourteen Tips for Getting More Sleep — and Why It Matters by Gretchen Rubin – I love The Happiness Project blog. As we continue to work harder, push ourselves and take on more responsibilities, we also have to remember to get enough sleep. Sleep improves your mood, energy level and has positive impacts on your health. Put away the laptop, let go of the iPhone, turn off the light and close your eyes.
See you tomorrow!